November 12, 2021|AO- The Combine|32 Degrees and very windy
10 PAX: Barber Shop, Lite Bright, Wentworth, Tubesocks, Honey Maid, Superfly, Doppler, Gunner, Oompa, Mother Goose (QIC)
5:05 AM- Showed up to set up cones and weinkes. Realized it was a fruitless endeavor with the wind blowing the way it was. Was very happy I went to Walmart yesterday to pick up some spare gear, used glow sticks for cones and new camping lights primarily just to weigh down the weinkes.
5:15 AM- Recited meaning, principles and mission of F3 and gave disclaimer; no FNG’s.
Moseyed a half lap around the track and circled up or Warm-o-Rama:
- 10 Tappy Taps IC
- 10 Big Ones IC
- 20 Second Small Ones Hold
- 10 Monkey Humpers IC
- 10 Cherry Pickers
- 10 Tempo Merkins IC
- YHC commented on how exactly one year from today it will be 11/12/22 or 1-1-1-2-2-2. I’m kind of a nerd about numbers so got excited about that and made a Pre-Thang out of today’s date. The PAX all lined up in a plank and would make their way across the field to where we started doing 1-1-1-2-2-1’s:
- 1 Merkin
- 1 Groiner
- 1 Alternating Shoulder Taps IC
- 2 Plank Jacks IC
- 2 Mountain Climbers IC
- 1 Caterpillar (walk feet up to a pike-up position, walk hands back out to plank)
- After what seemed like a long enough time for a Pre-Thang with the hopes of making it across the field, we stopped and realized we were only about a third of the way across. Definitely more difficult than imagined…
- At this point we moseyed back to where we started and had to pick up 2 of the 3 flags that had blown off.
The Thang- 2 Man Grinder with Coupons
- Partner one would take a coupon and Murder Bunny about 20 yards to a set of glow sticks, then Rifle Carry the coupon back to the start to relieve their partner.
- Partner two would perform exercises in place that the pair would work towards collectively:
- 50 Burpees
- 100 Alternating Lunges
- 150 Big Boys
- 200 Werkins
- 250 Bobby Hurleys
- 300 LBC’s
- 350 Merkins
- 400 Squats
Omaha call was made at 5:50, when all pairs were somewhere in the middle of the Bobby Hurleys. Tubesocks and Wentworth said they had done “a hundred and some” so we used 100 as the number and circled up to complete the rest of the exercises together:
- 15 Bobby Hurleys (15×10=150)
- 30 LBC’s IC (30×10=300)
- 35 Merkins (35×10=350)
- 40 Air Squats (40×10=400)
- Veterans Day Ruck 11/13 from the Canyon. Connect with Doppler.
- Get in your orders for Top Rope swag!
- Thankful Trot on Thanksgiving at most/all sites. Please support financially even if you are travelling for the holiday. It goes towards a great cause. Connect with Tubesocks
I started by apologizing to the PAX that I would not be able to stay for the Q source discussion as my wife has 7 AM meetings every Friday and I need to get home to take care of the kids. I also shared that I hoped the beatdown lived up to the Combine’s reputation as the “Hardest Working AO.”
LPC told me today’s Q source discussion was about the Shield Lock, so I decided to make that the focus of my COT. During my first year in F3, I have developed a Shield Lock of 10 or so guys that I post with the most and end up at coffee with; they are the guys that I text with most often. Coming into F3, I already knew a lot of guys from Creighton Prep, and I commented how amazing it has been to expand my group of friends and grow so close to men I might otherwise never have met. Wentworth and Doppler were in the PAX so I mentioned them by name.
For my time in F3 so far, I have spent most of my time being the recipient of the protection and support of a Shield Lock. I have been able to lay out my stresses, anxiety, arguments with my wife, struggles at work, and more on men that just listen, don’t judge or try to fix it, and simply support and love me. My goal going forward is to focus more on my role in the Shield Lock of supporting and protecting them.
When I hear the term “Shield Lock” I think of the scene in “300” where Leonidas is sharing with Ephialtes why he cannot join the phalanx because he is not able to physically guard the man next to him, and that one weak spot can jeopardize the integrity of the force. I want to be better at my side of the Shield Lock and do more in the future to “fight” alongside my brothers in F3. I shared with the PAX that I have a lot of experience working in high schools that has taught me to listen. I have learned when to act and when to simply let the other share what is on their mind and heart without passing judgement, being defensive, or dismissing it. I am here for any PAX member that needs to get anything off their chest, to vent, or release emotion and stress to. That has been the greatest gift F3 has offered me, and I will do my best to return it.
I led us out in a prayer of gratitude.
Here’s to good days and better tomorrows!
Cheers and SYITG,