Back Blast: Happiness….. go get it.
AO: Dragon’s Lair
Pax: Tonight show, Lincoln Logs, Gator, Fine Print, Moon Man, Kielbasa, Lemon Law, Crab cakes, Blades of Glory, Mr Miyagi, FNG – Fence Line
QIC: Speed square
Conditions: Enjoyable and calm, 70 degrees, low humidty, and loving life
- Quick 1/4 mile mosey to the Yard for a circle up.
- Windmills – 20
- Imperial walkers – 20
- Side straddle hops – 20
Exercise 1 @ Yard
Count off to 3 groups – 1 group per Cone – 3 times around Bearmuda Triangle
OYO3 markers ~30yds apart in shape of a triangle. Pax performs one burpee at first marker and bear crawls to 2nd marker, 2 burpees and bear crawl to 3rd marker, 3 burpees and bear crawl back to 1st marker. Rinse and Repeat x 3. Named Bearmuda Triangle as it has been known to mysteriously lose some pax along the way.
Exercise 2 @ Yard
Groups of 3 – 2 circles around cones
- Booyah! Merkin – pair up In honor of the late great Stuart Scott, who no doubt would have been an F3 Dash pax, had F3 been in Chapel Hill decades ago. 2 pax plank facing each other perform merkin in unison and on up move reach out and tap right hand to partner’s left shoulder, repeat merkin in unison with left hand tap to partner’s shoulder to complete one rep. Each up move accompanied by a spirited BOOYAH!
- Boxcutter AKA Upstate Boxcutter. This ab exercise starts on your 6 with legs together 6 inches, out like a Dolly for 1, up for 2, back together for 3, and down without touching the ground for count. Can also be reversed from 6 inches, feet up together, feet out, down, back together at 6 inches for count. Feet are moving in a square motion.
- Monkey Humpers & Broken Wheelbarrow PUSH group to next coneSimilar to a wheelbarrow. Partner one walking on ground with hands while partner two is holding only one leg, with the other leg free of held leg. This demands dramatically more core stability. This has beenreferred to as the Broken Spirit. (Modify bear crawl).
Exercise 3 @ YardGroups of 3 – 1 group per Cone
- Deconstructed Burpees – 5The perfect exercise, broken down into pieces. Squats, then leg thrusts, then Merkins, then leg thrusts, then up. For example, do 5 squats, 5 leg thrusts, 5 Merkins, 5 leg thrusts, then up. Decrease reps by 1 each time until you get to 1 each.
- Pickle PounderBegin in an elbow plank then alternate hip flexion and extension in cadence. Best performed in front of store windows or in quiet neighborhoods.
- Hydraulic Squat – 15 reps PUSH group Begin by doing a squat, once in the squat position put your right knee on the ground followed by your left knee, next bring your right knee up followed by your left knee then stand up.
- We had to bypass Exercise 4 due to time. We’ll never know but might have been a good pass.
Skipped over to Exercise 5 to utilize the lovely hill.
Exercise 4 @ YardGroups of 3 – 1 group per Cone
- Dips Done on elevated surfaces such as benches, low walls, or even curbs. While in facing upward with hands on surface and legs laying on heels, lower body to work back of arms, shoulders and core.
- Air SquaredAir chair (People’s Chair without the wall) combined with air claps in cadence.
- Plank Jacks – 15 reps PUSH group Jumping Jacks while in the plank position.
Exercise 5 @HillGroups of 3 and split into 2×2 (partners) 4 x 4s
- Start with arms raised in a standing position, burpee into plank followed by four Merkins followed by four mountain climbers with each leg. “One” is completed when returning to the standing position with arms raised. Wash, rinse, repeat. Recommended to do OYO while waiting for the 6 or waiting for a partner during a group exercise.
- Inch Worm – Up HillAll PAX line up in a good form plank, inch hands forward as far possible, when you can’t extend any further, inch feet forward until you are back in a standard plank, and repeat until all PAX have moved across field/parking lot. American Hammer – 10 reps @ top of Hill – Run down Hill
6MOM: Protractor While on six, Q calls out various angles to hold legs at, such as 10, 30, 45, 90 degrees. Regular way is to hold legs together, but Q may call split or 3 dimensional where legs are held at the angle called but apart.
COT: Ask yourself, deep down inside, what does HAPPINESS mean to you? Beyond the surface of material items, life distractions, and chaos…. What makes you happy?
- Getting lost in a book or TV show
- Visiting w/ Friend/Family/Neighbor
- Playing, building, sleeping, meditating
- Hobbies, adventures, service
Happiness is different for everyone. It can be tough to achieve, though it should be a continuous goal that we strive to achieve in ALL that we do. To some, it can be an achievement of doing something good for yourself or others. Happiness can be short-lived and can often have external sources. I would argue material pleasure is the root cause of many societal issues we see today. We must do things for other people – our time and effort should be the currency, not money or empty promises. Ex. Giving a few coins to a homeless person without a second glance is nowhere near as useful as sitting down and giving your time to listen to someone’s troubles or helping at the homeless shelter, or (Thor’s charitable event) helping paint an elderly person house, etc. To me, happiness is smiling, being nice, helping others, being around people, staying active, doing stuff, building things, creating opportunity for others and myself, striving for more heart filled items/achievements. To me, happiness is doing things and being active. And a piece of my happiness is shared with all of you here and that’s why I keep coming back, so I can be happier. My challenge for you…. Continually strive to be happy now for yourself and with others. If you’re not or can’t, reflect/meditate/pray/council on what truly makes you happy. We can always adjust, though you must be willing to. Be HAPPY, promote HAPPINESS, and help others create and see it for themselves. It’s one of those contagious things, go spread it. If you forget or need to be reminded of what makes you happy…. Write it down, come back to it, take a picture, etc….. so, you can enjoy it more and more. Make it fun and be HAPPY!
Announcements:#FNG – Fence Line joined the PAX and hit the ground running.
Always proud to be part of this group.