The Sandlot Backblast
July 22, 2021 | AO – The Sandlot
PAX: Haggis, Tater Tot, Crawl, Trench, Animal House, Roadhouse, Tony The Tiger, Zorro, Mensa, Belding
Q: Lucky Charms
At promptly 5:30, YHC welcomed everyone to F3. The PAX were all either gassed from a 5-mile run at a 7-minute pace, or ready to go like Roadhouse, who had his “juicy” short shorts on (NOTE: they really said Game On, but that still proved to be a big distraction during the moseys). It was noted that we are here to plant, grow, and serve small workout groups for the invigoration of male community leadership. We have 5 core principles: free, held outdoors, open to ALL men, lead in a rotating basis, and end in a COT. There were no new guys, so YHC stated he was not a professional (Crawl kindly noted that it was obvious) so everyone should modify as needed. Being a little nervous to lead today, we will start slow with a brief warm-up.
- Big Ones x 10 IC
- SSH x 15 IC
PAX moseyed to the football field, did one lap around the track and lined up on one of the goal lines.
The beatdown was simple. We would do one workout on one goal line, sprint (quick mosey) to the other side, and do another exercise. Before leaving any side, a trivia question would be asked to the person who lead the count. If they got it right, no penalty. If they got it wrong, 5 burpees. However, if anyone says (or spells) the word “fire” in any form, we would all have to do 3 burpees. See the bottom of the backblast for some sample questions that were asked.
For the first half of the exercise, we did 10 merkins on one side, and 10 big boys on the other. Halfway through, we switched to 10 squat jumps and 10 Freddie Mercuries.
In total, we probably did around 75+ burpees, ran around 2.5 miles, and did quite a few of the other exercises. Did I do a running AO properly? Probably not. Did everyone laugh a few times and get a good workout? Probably.
PAX moseyed back to the shovel flags, but there was no time for Mary.
- Shovel Flag pass on Friday at The Combine. One great HIM—Sparty—passes to another—LPC. Congrats to you both!
- Pop ups continue and will need support so we can continue to grow and reach more sad clowns. Look for new places to post and support.
- Prayers for Belding and his family. Welcome back to the gloom and glad everyone is back home.
- Prayers for those traveling and wrapping up summer. Bless those getting ready to go back to school in a few weeks.
- Shenanigans play tonight (July 22) at Bellevue Berry Farm. Come support Gobbler and Lucky Charms.
I am not comfortable running, especially around you all. It’s not in my comfort zone at all. I think it’s because its something that points out how hard it is for me, and how little I’ve worked on it. However, when talking with KOA, I thought this would be a good opportunity to embrace the awkwardness I felt and maybe even get a bit better today. With that idea, I thought we could close today out with a few laughs at uncomfortable events, and realize that the discomfort is almost ALWAYS in our own heads. So get out of your way, push yourself, and get better. Some examples of awkward situations that I found online:
- I meant to say “hold on for a second” and “give me a minute” to a customer and it came out as “hold me for a second” … what a Monday!
- Yesterday at Target the cashier said “your receipt is in the bag” and I responded with “you too”
- I broke up with my girlfriend at a restaurant and she started crying. Everyone throught I had proposed so they started clapping …
- I hugged my dentist thinking he was going in for one, but really he was just takikng off my dental bib.
See awkward situations as either an opportunity to grow or to laugh. Embrace them either way!
Questions asked during the beatdown: (Spoiler, everyone either said fire and we did 3 burpees or they tried to get cute and we did 5). SOmetimes people messed up and we did between upward of 11)
- Who started F3 at The Pit and recently celebrated his 2-year anniversary?
- Who is the former site Q of The Sandlot?
- Pyromania is a type of impulse control disorder where one is unable to resist starting …
- A couple in California was recently arrested because their gender reveal party started a deadly …
- Finish this quote. “Fight ____ with ____”
- What is the scariest way to die according to YHC?
- A popular cinnamon whiskey that ranked as Nebraska’s most popular liquor in Nebraska in 2015.
- Another term for “let go” or “canned” from a job.
- In Boondock Saints, one character (William Dafoe) stands and says, “There was a ____fight!”
- Alicia Keys once famously said, “This girl is on ____”
- To make captain planet, the powers of earth, wind, water, heart, and ____ had to combine.
- Sterotypically, dogs like to urinate on these red things near roads and buildings.
- Finish this quote from Frozen 2: “If you don’t want me following you into ____, then don’t run into ____”
- On the 4th of July, Americans typically shoot off ____ into the sky to celebrate their independence.
- What career are the main characters in the movie Backdraft.
- Shou Sugi Ban is a Japanese style of wood preservation that uses ____ to create a char, which effectively preserves the wood from the elements.
- Finish these lyrics from The Doors song, “Girl, we couldn’t get much higher. Come on baby, light my _____”
- Finish this quote from Austin Powers’ Fat Bastard: “This diaper’s making my nuts rub together. It’s gonna start a ____.”
- “What would you call a network security device that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and decides whether to block or allow the traffic” … or something hackers are trying to get past?
- In a rain forest, damn wood and resources can make starting one of these hard on people camping or trying to survive.
- A house feature that can be used for aesthetics, light, or heat, often found in basements or living rooms.