July 16, 2021//Stinson Park//AO-Brickyard//66 finally rain free degrees//
19 Pax: Huffy, Chicklets, Betamax, Bloodshot, Stella, Safe Ride, Ice T, Fire Walker, Polaroid, Swinger, Hoosegow, Spacebar, Edison, Tin Cup, Buns of Steel, Swiper, Doll Face, Honey Stinger, and Folsom.
The PAX gathered at the Shovelflags, while Folsom welcomed the PAX with the mission statement, the 5 core principles, a disclaimer that he was not a professional a cinderblock based exercises, even though in his mind he is, and an admonishment to modify as necessary so that no one gets hurt by their coupon. Folsom explained that today is a celebration and he urged everyone to have fun. Then he began the beatdown thusly:
Warm O’ Rama (4 minutes)
- No mosey, this is a coupon beatdown! We carried our coupons to the center of field.
- Goof Balls ICx20
- Sobriety Style Sun Gods (stand on 1 leg on your coupon), forward and backwards, ICx10
- Blockees, ICx10, (This is when I tried to get the energy up and called an 8 count that included an “All right!” at the end of each rep. It didn’t work.)
Folsom had the PAX partner up and mosey over to the Pull Up Pavilion. The first partner held a plank while the second partner performed 2 Chin Ups. The partners switched places and repeated the exercises. The next time the partners did Chin ups, it was for 4, then 6, then 4, then 2, thus the pyramid.
The Thang: 46 of Something (20 minutes) The PAX moseyed back to the grassy field where they had left their coupons after Warmorama. The PAX performed the first supersets were done OYO but working in small groups together was encouraged. After completing each superset the PAX sprinted past the stage, up the hill to Center St. and touched the wall before sprinting back to their coupons, I’d guestimate 80 yards in total. Running up that hill was the real killer in this Thang. Must of us got through Superset 2 a second time before Folsom showed mercy and called Omaha.
- Superset One:
- 20 Bent Over Rows
- 20 Curls
- 6 Blockees (Burpees with coupon in hands)
- Superset Two:
- 20 Goblet Squats (feet shoulder width apart, hold coupon to chest, chin high with elbows out, bend the knees, keep back straight, suck in belly button, lower until elbows touch the thighs, press up to standing, flex butt at the top=1)
- 20 Dead lifts (feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, stick butt out while lowering coupon to mid-shin, DO NOT ROUND BACK, push ground down while raising to straight up, flex butt at the top=1)
- 6 Side Jump over coupon Burpees (Burpee, jump sideways over coupon=1)
- Superset Three:
- 20 Overhead Presses (look through the window at the top)
- 20 Hands Crossed Upright Rows (switch hands at 10)
- 6 Murder Bunnies out and back
Post-Thang: Murder Merkins
These were my favorite made up exercise. I made these up for the Halloween beatdown that my friend, and hero, Batman, Q’d. Do a regular Merkin, but at the top support yourself with 1 hand and do three quick stabs with the other. It’s best to say it out loud too, “Stab, stab, stab!” No really counted these, too much laughter and yelling about stabbing. I’d guess about 10 were done.
- American Hammers ICx19 (Rancid Style around the circle)
Mumblechatter: I really didn’t hear much. This was a beast of a beatdown. One that left me very satisfied. “That’s what she said!” –Stella.
COT: I always try to think of what important thing I learned in the last year or in the previous years that I haven’t already shared with the PAX. I gotta tell you, this year was hard. It was hard because I haven’t been this satisfied with my life in… forever. My cup runneth over with happiness right now. I’m in a mature, healthy, amazing relationship, with the perfect partner for me. My relationships with my 2.0’s are the best they’ve been since the divorce. I didn’t mention my new car or my new house, and that was intentional because those things don’t really matter, although they are nice to have. I also didn’t mention the amazing group of friends, no, brothers, that I have in F3 and that was a terrible oversight on my part. The men of F3 have sharpened me into the man, partner, and father, that I am today, the one that is over joyed with life right now! I got to this point, not by luck or happenstance, but by hard work. Just like in fitness, I believe, in life there is no happiness plateau. I shared the story from Freed to Lead about the man that diets and exercises religiously for 90 days and then rests because he has “achieved good shape.” But he doesn’t maintain good shape, because he is resting, not continuing to grind. The reason he can’t just rest on the plateau of good shape is because it doesn’t exist. Fitness is a never ending journey, uphill. I believe that your life, your core relationships, your very self, is on the same uphill journey. There’s no plateu of happiness. Whether your dating someone for 4 months, like me, or married to someone for 19 years like Betamax or 27 years like Doll Face, (Congratulations to both of you!) you have to work at that relationship every day to make it better, because if you don’t, you’re sliding backwards. Take that home! Work on your most important relationships, now and forever.