28 May 2021 | The Combine | Kiewit Middle School | Cloudy, Cool, 45 degrees
PAX (16): Patton (Respect), Moon Man, Chucky, Gator, Birdman, LPC, Skipper, Toto, Doppler (boop), Armadilla, Barn Door, Sparty, Saul, Italian Job, Ketchup
Pre-run (7) : Sparty, Saul, Barn Door, Chucky, Pantyhose, Italian Job, Gator
YHC pulled into the parking lot at 0435 to get the scene set before the prerun. The football field was surprisingly wet and the grass appeared not to have been mowed for a couple weeks. Upon setting a cone at the east goal line and proceeding to midfield, YHC realized his feet were already wet. Yikes! For a split second, he considered modifying the plan because of the seemingly adverse conditions, but then quickly remembered that this is what we do. What’s a beat down without a little adversity, right? Maybe the conditions will be a distraction for what was about to ensue.
Cones set…now off to the parking lot for some pre-prerun mumble chatter…and boy, Chucky brought his A game.
Sparty and YHC were in stocking caps due to the cool temps and Chucky wasted no time in getting in his first jab… “I don’t know that it’s that cold fellas…I mean, really, stocking caps?” Sparty and Pantyhose didn’t bite, which probably made Chucky a little agitated. As usual, Chucky had a few other jabs up his sleeve…but for the anonymity of all those involved I’ll leave it out of the blackblast.
Prerunners departed promptly at 0445 and returned about 0510 to the PAX forming near the shovel flag. Just before 0515 Sparty told YHC he received a text from Birdman indicating he’d miss the beat down due to a flat tire in route to The Combine. Sparty (the HIM that he is) pulled a true HIM move and hopped in his car to go retrieve Birdman…a flat tire wasn’t going to stop him from some first and second F this glorious morning. Well done Sparty!
YHC welcomed the PAX at 0515, recited the 3F’s, mission statement, five core principals, and disclaimer. The PAX circled the parking lot for a mosey and ended up back at the flag for Warm-o-rama.
Warm – o – Rama
- SSH x 20 IC
- Windmill x 10 IC
- Sun Gods x 10 IC (forward/backward)
- Hang/Toe Touch 30 secs
- Big Ones x 10 IC (5 each side)
- The PAX moseyed over to the fence at the base of the hill east of the football field for some ATM’s and hills.
- Alternating Soulder Taps (15 IC), Tempo Merkins (15), Merkins (15), then sprint up the hill and back down.
- ATMs (10 reps), sprint up the hill and back down.
- PAX moseyed through the fence, across the track and made their way to the west end of the football field for The Thang.
- PAX split up into 3 groups. All groups started at the west goal line and worked east.
- 3 stations. Station 1 at west goal line. Station 2 at mid field. Station 3 at east goal line.
- Station 1 (start): 20 reps
- Station 2: 10 reps
- Station 3: 5 reps
- Start w/ first exercise at Station 1 do 20 reps, quick mosey to Station 2 do 10 reps, quick mosey to station 3 do 5 reps. Quick mosey back to Station 1 and do second exercise in same fashion
- Copperhead Squats IC
- Ranger Merkins
- Cherry Pickers IC
- Big Boy Sit Ups
- Carolina Dry Docks
- Lunges IC
There wasn’t a whole heck of a lot of mumble chatter. The expectations were set early on, going hard out of the gate with 20, 10, and 5 burpees. Some exercises (copper head squats and cherry pickers) provided better opportunity. Armadilla snuck in about 0530, not realizing the hardest working AO in Omaha starts at 0515…a mistake made by many, many others before. Sparty and Birdman joined at some point…YHC didn’t realize until we assembled back at the flag.
Omaha was called at 0551 as the groups had made it through the exercises and completed the second round of burpees. 70 burpees was a good place to call it for the day. PAX moseyed back to the flag for Mary.
- Captain Thor (1:4 ratio of Big Boy Sit Ups and American Hammer)
- PAX completed 5 rounds, ending with 5 Big Boy Sit Ups and 20 (IC) American Hammer
- Triple Murph on Memorial Day (0500, 0600, 0700)
- Brickbulider on June 12 (0800 at Creighton Prep); Social event on June 11 (Stinson Park)
- Birdman’s friends father
- Doppler’s son
I shared the following analogy about spilling a cup of coffee. I had some events at work earlier in the week that didn’t sit well with me. I was angry, upset and as a result, treated those around me – coworkers and family – in a way they didn’t deserved to be treated.
My cup spilled (see below), and the wrong things came out of it. I had heard this analogy awhile back, but after rereading it this week, I realized that I could have – and should have – handled the situations differently.
You are holding a cup of coffee when someone comes along and bumps into you or shakes your arm, making you spill your coffee everywhere.
Why did you spill the coffee? “Because someone bumped into me!!”
You spilled the coffee because there was coffee in your cup. Had there been tea in your cup, you would have spilled tea.
*WHATEVER IS INSIDE THE CUP IS WHAT YOU WILL SPILL OUT*
Therefore, when life comes along and shakes you (which WILL happen), whatever is inside you will come out. It’s easy to fake it, until you get rattled.
So we have to ask ourselves… “what’s in my cup?”
When life gets tough, what spills over? Is it Joy, gratefulness, peace, and humility? Or is it anger, bitterness, harsh words and reactions?
Life provides you the cup, YOU choose how to fill it.
Today let’s work towards filling our cups with gratitude, forgiveness, joy, words of affirmation, kindness, gentleness and genuine love for others