Jan. 22, 2021 | The Combine | Kiewit Middle School | Clear, Crisp, 19 degrees
PAX (15): Hard Hat, Moon Man, Skipper, U-Haul, The Curse, Chucky, Khakis (Respect), Dr. Thunder, Sister Act, Pain Killer, Sparty, Armbar, Mac N Cheese, Theraband, Tubesocks
Pre-run (5) : Hard Hat, Sparty, Tubesocks, The Curse, Pantyhose
YHC welcomed the PAX at 0515, recited the 3F’s, 5 core principals and disclaimer. Fortunately, Khakis was paying attention and having realized YHC didn’t make any mention of the mission statement, dropped a subtle hint. Pantyhose obliged and rendered the mission statement just before a mosey through the fence and onto the track.
Warm – o – Rama
- 1/4-mile mosey around the track, rally at the east end to limber up.
- SSH x 25 IC
- Windmill x 10 IC
- Sun Gods x 10 IC (forward/backward)
- Big Ones x 10 IC (5 each side)
- Tappy Taps (15 IC)
- The PAX moseyed across the football field down to the west goal line for the Pre-Thang. YHC is still looking for suggestions for this complex…currently termed the “The Ryan Express”. PAX moseyed from the goal line to the 25-yd line for round 1, to the 50-yd line for round 2 and then back to the 25-yd line for round 3. The following exercises were performed each round:
- Nolan Ryan x 10 each side
- Mahktar N’ Daiyes x 10 IC
- Merkins x 10
- PAX moseyed to midfield where Pantyhose tried (unsuccessfully) to describe the Thang. Some clarifications were needed after numbering into 3’s for a 3-man grinder.
- 3-man grinder. Exercises listed at 2 Stations. One guy at each station, third is the push. Work through the reps accumulating as a group, pick up where the previous guy left off.
- Station 1
- Burpees (100x)
- Merkins (200x)
- Overhead Claps (300x)
- Station 2
- Monkey Humper (100x IC)
- Big Boy Sit-ups (200x)
- Air Squat (300x)
There was very little mumble chatter as everyone was using full mental capacity to keep track of reps at two different stations. Apparently during the burpee round a fellow PAX was overheard saying “Who the hell invented the burpee anyway?” And at some point Armbar claimed that this brought back memories of the IronPAX challenge, which made Pantyhose’s heart skip a beat.
Omaha was called at 0555 and the PAX moseyed back to the shovel flags for Mary.
- LBC x 20 IC
- American Hammer x 25 IC
- Pantyhose asked the PAX if anyone knew Chris Nikic? Chris is a 21 year old from Florida with Downs Syndrome, who didn’t let his obstacles become an excuse.
- Nearly 2 years ago, Chris set a goal of completing an Ironman triathlon (2.4 mi swim, 112 mi bike, 26.2 mi run).
- In August 2019 he completed a sprint ironman (13 miles) in 1:41.
- In January 2020 he completed an olympic ironman (32 mi) in 4:25
- In May 2020 he completed a half ironman (70.3 mi) in 8:25
- Set a goal for the Ironman (140.6 mi) to complete in 17 hrs. In November 2020 he completed the Ironman in 16:46, becoming the first person with Downs Syndrome to complete an Ironman.
- What is his secret? His mantra? GET 1% BETTER EVERY DAY
- When working towards our goals, we sometimes think we need to take huge strides to get there…often forgetting about the compounding effect of small gains. Regardless of whether it is working out, personal or professional goals…break down those barriers by compartmentalizing.
- Check out Chris’ story, and 1% Better Challenge here: https://chrisnikic.com