9/31/2020 / The Maize AO / Copperfields Park / Temperatures in the mid 40’s with a cool breeze. Welcome to fall F3.
PAX: Rip Tide, Tonight Show, Uncle Rico, Convoy, Khakis, Pot Hole, Barn Door, Scrapper, Griswold, Hard Hat, Cheap Seats, Venus, Tombstone, Yodle, Wait Time, Izzy, Sasquash, Seabiscuit, Thor, Slow Roast, Dr Thunder, FNG (Pain Killer), ZeroRez
Q: The Curse
Sasquash called the Curse for a last minute “5 day notice” Q this week. In a twist of fate, this was the Curse’s 2nd Q of the week. Sasquash was unaware of the double booking but surely impressed with his devotion! Further, he was lucky to be leading beatdowns at AOs devoid of light and wind breaks. The Curse saw this as a prime opportunity to toughen the PAX present.
Mission Statement: F3 lives a mission to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for the re-invigoration of male community leadership.Core Principles: F3 abides by 5 core principles: 1. Free 2. Open to all men 3. Held outside rain or shine 4. Lead in a rotating fashion 5. Ends in a circle of trust
Disclaimer: The Curse is definitely not a professional. His role as a Q is to push the group physically. However, he advised we need to listen to our bodies and please modify as needed.
The Curse informed the group we would begin with a mosey out of the parking lot, doubling back to the basketball court for warm-a-rama. Once there, the group lined up on the sideline.
Since stretching is for Jazzercise, The Curse opted for a program of simple and effective dynamic stretches. We separated into 3 small groups and performed the following movements:
• 60% sprint
• High Knee Holds
• Side Saddle Hops
• 75% Sprint
• Big Ones
• Backwards Reach
• Side Shuffle Rotate
• Sun Gods
• 100% Sprint
Per the advice of the wise HIM Khakis, The Curse opted to forego the Pre-Thang in favor of an extended Thang.
Muscle fatigue was on the mind of The Curse while building this beatdown. Not just muscles but entire sections of the body fatigued. Thusly, The Wagon Wheel was created. It consisted of the following:
• One central cone with 5 spokes approximately 60 feet from the center cone.
• The group counted off in 5’s and assembled at each spoke cone
• Groups began with an exercise. Once complete, they would run forward to the center of the wheel then backpedal to the next spoke
• Each lap around the wheel focused on one area of the body
o Lap 1 = Lower body
Split squat right leg – 20 on down
Split squat left leg – 20 on down
Wojo Squats – 20 on down
o Lap 2 = Shoulders
Sun gods forward – 20 IC
Sun gods backwards – 20 IC
Seal Claps – 20 IC
Randys – 20 IC
Overhead presses – 20 IC
o Lap 3 = Merkin Madness
Merkins – 20 on down
Werkins – 20 on down
Stagger Merkins Left Hand – 20 on down
Stagger Merkins Right Hand – 20 on down
Diamond Merkins – 20 on down
o Lap 4 = Burpee Bonanza
Burpees – 15 OYO
Plank Jack – 20 IC
Side Saddle Hop (5 IC) then 10 burpees
Hand release burpees – 15 IC
Mountain Climbers – 20 IC
The workout began with zest and enthusiasm. Fortunately or unfortunately – depending how you keep score – mumble chatter began shortly after the start. By the middle of round 2, The Curse thought the Wagon Wheel may be a bit much. In true HIM fashion, the PAX persevered and completed all 4 laps. Omaha was called at that time. The PAX returned to the shovel flag for MoM.
- Freddy Mercurys – 20 IC
- Sweat Angels – 20 IC
- Heel Touches – 20 IC
- American Hammers – 20 IC
Prayers and Announcements:
• Welcome to FNG Pain Killa!
• Thank you given to Crab Cakes for arranging for the family night at Vala’s on October 8. There are still tickets available. Contact Tater Tot for tickets. Ms and 2.0s welcome.
• Join the group at the Hope Center for lunch to celebrate the success of the Clean Food Challenge.
The Curse began by explaining how he derives inspiration from fellow PAX in many ways. This includes people on their fitness journeys, site Q leaders, growth leaders, and many that lead simply by positive actions in and out of the Gloom.
This got the Curse thinking about qualities of influential men and found a study on these characteristics. They are summarized as the following:
- Many see their success stemming from simply persevering.
a. This is not about succeeding the first time but pushing forward even when facing failure.
- They show the importance of mastering the inner game
a. This involves taming ones mind and reframing situations so they can continue to fight, innovate, or just keep forging ahead
- They show that a man earns little by trying to be better than someone else
a. True gains happen when a man is challenged to be better than his former self while still being gracious to his fellow man
- Influential men embrace the habit of taking action.
The Curse complimented the PAX for being present this morning and it was a great start to the day. He finished with a quote to frame the day and rest of the week:
• Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
The Curse thanked everyone for choosing to be with him this morning and took us out in prayer.