9/21/2018. The Woodshed AO | Elwood Park | 6700 Elmwood Park Road
PAX: 13 – The Plague, Baby Grand, Wait Time, FNG (Scott Doby aka EZRider), Big One, Tonight Show, Ponzi, Hard Hat, Roll Bar, Tater Tot, Folsom
Weather: 65 and saturated from the prior evening downpour
Selleck welcomed 14 PAX & 1 FNG. Mission statement, core principles and disclaimer were given. Selleck introduced a new segment called, this day in sweaty history and highlighted two leaders:
On this day in 1780, during the American Revolution, American General Benedict Arnold meets with British Major John Andre to discuss handing over West Point to the British, in return for the promise of a large sum of money and a high position in the British army. The plot was foiled and Arnold, a former American hero, became synonymous with the word “traitor.”
During the revolutionary war, Benedict Arnold proved himself a brave and skillful leader, helping Ethan Allen’s troops capture Fort Ticonderoga in 1775 and then participating in the unsuccessful attack on British Quebec later that year, which earned him a promotion to brigadier general. Arnold distinguished himself in campaigns at Lake Champlain, Ridgefield and Saratoga, and gained the support of George Washington. However, Arnold had enemies within the military and in 1777, five men of lesser rank were promoted over him. Over the course of the next few years, Arnold married for a second time and he and his new wife lived a lavish lifestyle in Philadelphia, accumulating substantial debt. The debt and the resentment Arnold felt over not being promoted faster were motivating factors in his choice to become a turncoat. (source: www.history.com)
On September 21, 2002, Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin dies after a heart attack. Bohlin spent most of the 1950s developing ejection seats for Saab airplanes, and in 1958, he became the Volvo Car Corporation’s first safety engineer. At Volvo, he designed the first three-point safety belt–a seatbelt with one strap that crossed diagonally across the user’s chest and another that secured his or her hips. “In a way,” Bohlin said shortly before he died, “my design works as much because the belt is comfortable for the user as it does because it is safer.
By 1959, the three-point belt was standard equipment in all Swedish Volvos, and by 1963, the company was installing the belts in all of its cars. Volvo even provided Bohlin’s design to other carmakers for free. The design has changed very little in the past 50 years–it was practically perfect just as Bohlin designed it–and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that buckling up with a Bohlin belt reduces a person’s risk of dying in a car crash by almost 50 percent. “There is,” said Volvo’s CEO, “a little bit of Nils Bohlin in every car.” (source: www.history.com)
LESSSON: Don’t be selfish beneDICT, be hard as NILS! (source: www.history.com)
PAX moseyed to hobbit hole for warm-o-rama.
SSH – 15 IC
String rippers – 10 IC
Windmills 10 IC
The PAX split into 2 groups for mini ladder – each group form around a hobbit hole stair case.
Jacob’s 11 step ladder
- PAX runs to top of stairs and completes 10 crucible merkins
- Run to bottom of stairs completes 1 Bobby Hurley
- Top of stairs and then completes 9 crucible merkins
- Bottoms of stairs and completes 2 Bobby Hurley
- PAX continues until 1 CM and 10 BH
The PAX then moseyed to east side of the park for part 1 of the thang.>>>
The THANG: Thunder Field
Field o Dreams
PAX split into 4 groups
- 1st group started at First Base for AMRAP Monkey Humpers until relieved.
- 2nd group to Second Base for AMRAP Merkins until relieved.
- 3rd group to Third Base for AMRAP Big Boy Sit Ups until relieved
- 4th group to Home Plate for 15 Burpees then run to First, relieving the Pax there.
PAX completed 1.5 cycles until it started to THUNDER!
Selleck played AC/DC; you know the drill. PAX held plank during the song and completed 1 merkin for each “thunder” heard. Selleck called Omaha at 3:40
Bay City Scissors – 8 count IC X 10
E2K X 10 each side
Marge/Homer x who knows???
Hammertime (Wait Time on the call x 30)
- Name-o-Rama commenced and we welcomed our FNGs, EZRider who was recruited by The Plague.
- Picabo with some exciting (and courageous) moves in his personal/professional life as he takes on his own business endeavor.
- Reminder of two opportunities to support community fundraising efforts:
- It Starts With One-Step “Fund-raiser Walk for Prader-Willi Syndrome.” September 22 – 9 AM to 11 AM. 14807 Starlite Circle, Bennington NE. For more information: see Snip (Brian Kalasek) Text or call 402.618.2433 or click here to sign up/donate.
- “Wheels” for Jakson – Event at The Warehouse Grille to help purchase reliable transportation for Jakson Delancy. Event is Saturday, October 13 and beings at 11AM.
- Be safe, buckle up in the name of Nils Bohlin and enjoy your holiday weekend! PAX gave Selleck some ribbing for honoring the first day of autumn and the PGA Tour FedEx Cup Championship as a holiday. Unreal.